WARNING– this blog is about to instil a craving for the mouth-watering ice-cream flavours that are offered by our beloved Baskin Robbins.
The popular cotton candy like, blue and pink logo of Baskin Robbins is printed on the hearts of many, all around the globe. To prove this fact, Baskin Robbins has been adorned with a position in the long list of top 100 global brands.
The Indian ice-cream industry is expected to grow to a whopping valuation of INR 508.4 Bn by 2028 which makes this the perfect time to invest in a well-established and reputable ice-cream chain like Baskin Robbins.
Beginning of Baskin Robbins
Baskin Robbins was co-founded by ice-cream enthusiasts and brothers-in-law, Burton “Burt” Baskin and Irvine “Irv” Robbins in 1945 in Glendale, California.
Irvine Robbins scooped ice-creams in his father’s ice-cream shop in his teen years whereas Burton Baskin served in the army, where he became well-versed with the art of making ice-cream. Burton Baskin served his delicious ice-cream scoops to his fellow U.S. Navy troops during World War II.
The brothers-in-law merged their names together, upon Burt’s return from the war to convert their dream of establishing a family-friendly ice-cream parlour into a reality and Baskin Robbins came into being.
The ultimate duo ran 6 outlets across Southern California and later advanced their venture by the inclusion of managers to bring ownership interest and personal creativity to each outlet.
They began experimenting with new flavours and ingredients in 1949 after purchasing their first dairy production factory in Burbank, California.
In 1953, after merging their shops to give birth to “Baskin Robbins Ice-cream”, they brought the unique concept of 31 different flavours for 31 days of the month into play.
Years later, in 2009 Baskin Robbins introduced BRight Choices®, offering low-fat, no additional sugar, light and dairy-free ice-cream flavours alongside hard scoops of frozen yogurt.
Baskin Robbins Outlets
In the mid 1960s, Baskin Robbins expanded to over 400 United States restaurants, whereas during the 1970s, BR commenced operations internationally, in countries like Saudi Arabia, Japan, Australia and South Korea.
Baskin Robbins has since then been on an exceptional roll and currently acquires over 8,000 outlets in around 52 countries. The customer count every year exceeds 300 Million, globally.
Launch of Baskin Robbins in India
Baskin Robbins was brought to India in 1993 and since then has managed to capture every Indian’s heart.
Baskin Robbins was introduced to India through a joint venture with the esteemed Graviss Group which was founded by I.K. Ghai in 1945 and is a pioneer in the F&B industry in India. The group owns and manages Baskin Robbins in India alongside other brands like The Brooklyn Creamery, Mayfair Banquets, The InterContinental Hotel on Marine Drive, Zaffran etc.
Baskin Robbins acquires more than 800 exclusive outlets in India in over 230 cities.
Baskin Robbins Menu
Baskin Robbins offers over 1,400 ice-cream flavours made out of cow milk, which are further classified into 5 types, which are:
- Classic- These ice-cream flavours have been around for a long time and are fan-favourites. Some of these also represent the Baskin Robbins heritage. Flavours include, chocolate mousse royale, chocolate chip cookie dough, cookies n’ cream, baseball nut, cotton candy, chocolate chip, mint chocolate chip, strawberry cheesecake etc.
- Sorbets/Ices/Sherbets- Flavours include citrus twist ice, rainbow sherbet and blue raspberry sherbet.
- Frozen Yogurt- Includes delicious flavours like Maui Brownie Madness which is chocolate frozen yogurt infused with brownie chunks and macadamia nuts, ribboned with chocolate fudge.
- NSA (No Sugar Added)- Are free from additional sugars, flavours include chocolate chip, chocolate, Caramel Turtle Truffle etc.
- Seasonal- These include seasonal flavours that are fit for specific occasions, flavours include amazin raisin, banana, caramel praline cheesecake, chocolate almond, coconut, green tea etc.
All the flavours produced by Baskin Robbins are vegetarian, and they’ve also come up with a vegan line to satisfy all of their consumers.
Baskin Robbins came up with BRight Choices® lineup in 2009 with light, fat free, dairy free and no sugar added ice cream flavours alongside frozen yogurt.
Baskin Robbins also introduces new and innovative cake design regularly including their recent polar bear cake for the winter season and teddy bear cake for Valentine’s Day.
Baskin Robbins also surprise their loyal consumers by bringing back their fan favourites from its deep freeze like Polar Pizza Ice-cream team which was served back in the 1990s.
The best-selling flavour, internationally of Baskin Robbins is Pralines ‘n Cream which was introduced in the mid 1970s by Irv Robbins and his wife Irma.
Baskin Robbins still manages to come up with a new flavour every month, so that their iconic pink spoons always have something new and innovative to offer!
Reasons to Choose a Baskin Robbins Franchise
- Baskin Robbins is a globally-renowned brand.
- Baskin Robbins is one of the largest ice-cream chains globally and in India.
- Baskin Robbins is an already proven brand, offering good returns, goodwill and great status.
- Baskin Robbins offers over 31 premium flavours and toppings.
- Baskin Robbins is rapid in innovation and improvement.
- Baskin Robbins has reliable and trustworthy consumers.
- Baskin Robbins provided flexible and different franchise models.
- Baskin Robbins’ franchise requires low investments.
- Baskin Robbins’ franchise has huge profit margins.
- Baskin Robbins provides support and training to all of the franchisees.
- Baskin Robbins is one of the largest retail chains.
- Baskin Robbins acquires a large customer base.
- Baskin Robbins offers high scopes for expansion.
- Baskin Robbins offers ongoing business consultation.
- Baskin Robbins offers support in designing and construction of the outlet.
Baskin Robbins Franchise Cost & ROI
While the investments depend greatly upon the location, model type, footfall etc, here’s an estimate of the costing of a Baskin Robbins franchise-
Baskin Robbins offers 3 kinds of Ice-cream outlets which are as followed-
(If one desires to expand from one franchise model to another, it can be easily pulled off by fulfilling the necessary criterion.)
- Baskin Robbins Kiosks- A minimum space of 150 sq. ft is required for this kind of a Baskin Robbins franchise outlet alongside an estimated investment of INR 11- 14 L. The minimum frontage area requirement is 10 ft.
- Baskin Robbins Parlour- A minimum space of 300 sq. ft is required for this kind of a Baskin Robbins franchise outlet alongside an estimated investment of INR 13- 18 L. The minimum frontage area requirement is 12 ft.
- Baskin Robbins Lounge- A minimum space of 500 sq. ft is required for this kind of a Baskin Robbins franchise outlet alongside an estimated investment of INR 18- 24 L. The minimum frontage area requirement is 15 ft.
A security deposit of INR 50,000 will also be required to own a Baskin Robbins Franchise alongside a branding fee ranging from INR 4 L to INR 5 L.
Other expenses to own a Baskin Robbins franchise include preliminary cost like rent or purchase cost of the real estate, furniture and interior decoration, products cost, equipment cost, employees’ salary and expenses, goods and services tax etc.
Profit Margins of Each Franchise Outlet
- Baskin Robbins Kiosk- 50%
- Baskin Robbins Parlour- 46% – 48%
- Baskin Robbins Lounge- 52%
Locations for a Baskin Robbins Franchise
Some locations prove to be exceptionally fruitful for a Baskin Robbins franchise, including:
- Cinema Multiplexes
- Shopping Malls or Complexes
- Canteens of Commercial Offices
- Parties, Events or Occasions
Steps to Apply for a Baskin Robbins Franchise
STEP 1: Hop onto the official website of Baskin Robbins ( www.baskinrobbinsindia.com ).
STEP 2: On the official website ofBaskin Robbins, you will come across a franchise form.
STEP 3: Fill the form with the necessary details including your personal and professional details like past experiences, potential investment amount, location etc and submit it.
STEP 4: After the submission of franchise form, sit back and wait for the Baskin Robbins’ team to approve your request and proceed further.
STEP 5: You will be guided regarding the next steps by the Baskin Robbins’ team.
Support & Training
For smooth and successful operations at the franchise outlet, the Baskin Robbins’ team provides ongoing and regular support and training. Baskin Robbins’ team aids the franchisee in the following ways:
- OPERATION MANAGEMENT- Baskin Robbins consist of a widespread and a strong supply chain, capable of supplying frozen dessert all over the globe. This helps the brand segment its market and reach a wider consumer base.
- BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENT- The Baskin Robbins’ team provides thorough guidance and aid in the furniture, interior and designing of the outlet. The work is monitored while in progress, which enables the possibility of changes at any step.
- STAFF TRAINING– World-class training is provided to the franchise staff to meet the international standards. This enhances the operations and makes the business more effective.
- BRANDING & PROMOTION- Baskin Robbins’ regularly launches promotional events and offers to increase reach and market. Events can be both pan India or city-specific. All the required information is provided to the franchisees for the successful commencement of these events.
- Business consultations at any step of any operation.
Eligibility Criterion for a Baskin Robbins Franchise
Baskin Robbins is a globally renowned big- name brand. Baskin Robbins is one of India’s leading and well-established ice-cream chains and hence requires its future owners to tick a few criterions, including-
1. Adequate capitalisation and financial stability to maintain and develop their store.
2. Enthusiasm and passion towards the business.
3. Entrepreneurial drive
4. Good financial credibility
5. A long-term and strategic vision to enhance their franchise models.
6. Commitment towards the business.
Documents Required to Own a Baskin Robbins Franchise
1. Standard Franchise Agreement
2. PAN Card
3. GST Registration
4. Lease/Rental Agreement
5. Aadhar Card
6. Other documents if required
Take the flavoursome step, and invest in the leading ice-cream chain globally! Baskin Robbins will without a doubt prove to be a greatly successful venture for you, providing a hefty income every month!
NOTE: The above mentioned data is variable and estimated. We strictly advise you to contact franchise specialists before investing or taking a professional or financial step.